Historic Zoar Village logo

Garden House #11 - 1835

Virtual Tour > Garden House

The Garden House is located between Main and Park Streets, on the south side of Fourth Street.

The Garden House was the home of Simon Beuter, the gardener, and his family. A greenhouse was built on the south side of the garden house, which was similar to a lean-to. Later, another greenhouse was built on the east end of the gardener’s home. The garden was kept in almost perfect condition by the gardener and a number of fourteen and fifteen year old boys.

The Garden House is currently owned by the Ohio History Connection and is open for tours. The hard work of volunteers, staff and sponsors throughout the season keep the flower and vegetable bed shapes representative to the Zoarites original design. Covering an acre of ground, the spruce tree in the center represents everlasting life. Paths symbolizing the different paths to heaven radiate from the center of the garden.

The Garden House also currently houses the Garden House Shoppe featuring plants and plant related items.

Subscribe To Our Newsletter