Historic Zoar Village logo

School House - 1868

Virtual Tour > School House

The School House is located on the hill above Fourth Street and Foltz Street.

The glass for the windows is the only product in the building that was not made in Zoar. Eight grades were taught here by Levi Bimeler. Levi Bimeler was one of the last teachers of the Society. He had been selected by the Trustees to attend high school and college in the city in preparation for the teaching position at this school. Some children from non-Society families came to this school to learn German. Public grade school was held in the School House up to about 1960.

The School House is a Zoar Village property, and was restored in the 1980’s by the Zoar Community Association. The majority of funds were raised by the ZCA, along with grants from private foundations. The National Park Service also helped make the restoration possible. Today, the School House serves as the ZCA’s base of operations, and can be rented for community and social functions.

Subscribe To Our Newsletter