Historic Zoar Village logo

#1 House - 1835

Virtual Tour > #1 House

The Number One House was built in 1835 and stands at the southwest corner of Main and Third Streets.

It is currently owned by the Ohio History Connection and operated by the Zoar Community Association. The Number One House was originally intended as a home for the elderly of the Society, but when that idea was abandoned, it was offered to Joseph Bimeler, the Society’s leader, as his home.

Built of red brick and sandstone, The Number One House stands two and one-half stories high. A portico extends the full width of the front of the house, and Colonial columns support the roof of the portico and the balcony above.

The gable roof of the balcony extends from the roof of the house, which is broken by dormers. A cupola sits atop the building, as with many buildings in the village. The cellar of the home has arched stone ceilings, It is deep and always cool, making it an excellent place to keep produce.

The Number One House has been open as a museum since 1935 and contains Zoar furniture, clothing, tools, pottery, baskets and many other articles used during the Society years.

Subscribe To Our Newsletter