Historic Zoar Village logo

Assembly House #12 - 1858

Virtual Tour > Assembly House

The Assembly House sits on the northeast corner of Main and Third Street, at 117 E. 3rd St.

At the Assembly House the trustees and the heads of the various shops, mills, lands and stables met to plan the day’s work and to plan the planting and harvesting of crops.

There was a tower on the slate roof of this house enclosing a bell. When this bell tolled, it was a signal for those in charge to go to meeting.

This red brick home was built in 1858 for Jacob Ackerman, trustee. Later it was occupied by his son-in-law, John Sturm, and then by a descendant, Mrs. Hildegard Meade.

The Assembly House remains a private residence and is the current home of Assembly House Antiques.

Subscribe To Our Newsletter