Historic Zoar Village logo

First School #13 - 1830

Virtual Tour > First school

The First School is located between Main and Foltz Streets, on the south side of Third Street.

This structure was originally a one-story school building. It was modeled several times for use as a private dwelling. At the age of six, children were sent to school. Here they were taught from texts of a religious nature, although later, McGuffey’s Readers were used. Both English and German were taught to the children, as German was the mother-tongue, and they were not to forget it. The First School is now privately owned.

Subscribe To Our Newsletter