Historic Zoar Village logo

The Blacksmith - 1834

Virtual Tour > The Blacksmith

The Blacksmith Shop is situated next to the Wagon Shop, south of First Street, on the east side of Main Street.

Inside were three fireplaces where the iron was heated. One was small, one medium size and one was large. They were used according to the size of iron or the job on hand. Benjamin Ruof used the large forge when he made the first Zoar fire engine.

Some of the articles made in the Blacksmith Shop included nails, chains, garden tools, axes, hammers and rims for wheels. The Blacksmith Shop was reconstructed in 1972 by the Ohio History Connection. It is open to the public. The Blacksmith Shop is also the home of blacksmithing classes.

Subscribe To Our Newsletter