Historic Zoar Village logo

The Hermitage #30 - 1818

Virtual Tour > The Hermitage

The Hermitage is located at the corner of East and Fourth Streets.

Alexander Gunn, a wealthy merchant from Cleveland, visited here in 1879. He was taken with the quiet little village, and at the time of his retirement, the Society gave him the right to occupy one of the cabins in the northeast end of town, which Gunn named “The Hermitage.” Gunn was the first “outsider” to be allowed into the village as a resident.

Mr. Gunn soon remodeled and furnished The Hermitage in luxury, and it became a fabulous club house where he did a great deal of entertaining. Among his guests were men such as William Whitney of New York and Mark Hanna of Cleveland. The Hermitage is currently a private home. Many of Gunn’s furnishings remain in the building.

Subscribe To Our Newsletter